Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thinking About God


Richard Fairchild tells the following story in his book, "Not Far From the Kingdom of God":

In the days of the circuit riders a minister was out riding one afternoon and came upon a man out working in his field.

"Fine day, isn't it?" the minister called out.

"It's fine for you", the man replied, "All you have to do is ride around on that horse thinking about God all day long, while I have to sweat here in this field and then walk home afterward. I don't think it is right you should have things so easy while I have to work so hard."

"On the contrary", the minister answered, "thinking about God is one of the most difficult things you can do. And to prove it, I'll give you this horse if you can think about God and nothing else for one minute."

"You're on," said the man and immediately he sat down in silence. Thirty seconds later he looked up at the minister, and said, "Does that include the saddle?"

I would agree that thinking about God and nothing else is a very difficult thing to do. I would also add, though, that it is just as hard for ministers as it is anyone else!

The apostle Paul wrote, "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2).

But our mind is filled nearly every minute of the day with things on this earth -- concerns about things that have happened, concerns about things that will (or might) happen, concerns about what we have (or don't have), concerns about how to get what we don't have, concerns about people that have done us wrong, concerns about what we want others to do for us.

And our mind is so crowded with the things of this world, that there's just not much room left for God. It's hard to think about God and God alone, for there is so much competing for our attention.

Allow me to give you this challenge -- think about God and nothing else for one minute. If you can achieve that goal, strive for five minutes. May thoughts of God increasingly fill your mind so that you can eventually say with the Psalmist all day long, "I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and on Your wondrous works." (Psalm 145:15)

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! It happened to me the past week up to today. I have missed my morning prayers. And even if I was thinking about talking to Him like every 60 seconds of every other hour of this morning, I still missed it! So many things entered my mind as I go round and about the house. It is really hard to just think about Him even for an hour. I can think of Him for like 5 minutes when I am really into deep thinking while working around the house. But to just stop, not do anything and then think of Him, I couldn't think of any moment in my life that that happened. It might have happened in church but in my heart, there is this tiny little voice telling me that I had been distracted once in a while while concentrating on praising Him. Well, He knows what's inside our hearts and minds. So I guess He knows that we are still trying. Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete