Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I Wish I'd Known


Someone has composed this list (from a variety of sources) of "Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out Into the Real World":

* Never continue dating anyone who is rude to the waiter.

* Some people are working backstage, some are playing in the orchestra, some are on-stage singing, some are in the audience as critics, some are there to applaud. Know who and where you are.

* The five most essential words for a healthy, vital relationship: "I apologize" and "You are right."

* Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

* When you make a mistake, make amends immediately. It's easier to eat crow while it's still warm.

* The only really good advice that I remember my mother ever gave me was, "Go! You might meet somebody!"

* If he says that you are too good for him, believe it.

* I've learned to pick my battles; I ask myself, "Will this matter one year from now? How about one month? One week? One day?"

* The shortest line is always the longest.

* Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

* If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance!

There's a lot of biblical truth in many of the statements above, especially the last statement. How often have you done something really stupid and said to yourself, "I wish I could have a second chance"? The truth is, God has given you a second chance. He's given you hundreds of second chances. You're not guaranteed another one, but the fact that you got up out of bed today means that you have one more opportunity to make right anything that has destroyed your relationship with God or others.

Many people have questioned why Jesus has not yet returned like he promised he would. Here's one reason:

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise [to return], as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance! Don't waste it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,
    I just found your blog. Love it today! You are so right...one of the first things I ALWAYS do, before my feet even hit the floor in the morning, is to thank the Lord for another chance at another day. Every day we open our eyes the Lord had given us another chance to do better and to be better.

    ReplyDelete