Thursday, June 4, 2009
Are You Feeling Lucky?
The following ads are reported to have been taken from actual newspapers:
1) Free puppies: ½ cocker spaniel, ½ sneaky neighbor dog
2) Snow blower for sale ... only used on snowy days
3) For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and large drawers.
4) 2 wire mesh butchering gloves: 1 five-finger, 1 three-finger, pair $15
5) Lost: small apricot poodle. Reward. Neutered. Like one of the family.
6) Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children
7) Nordic Track $300. Hardly used. Call Chubbie.
8) Found: Dirty white dog. Looks like rat. Been out awhile. Better be reward.
9) Hummels -- largest selection ever. "If it's in stock, we have it!"
10) Georgia Peaches, California grown -- 89 cents/lb.
11) Nice parachute: never opened -- used once, slightly stained
12) Tired of working for only $9.75 per hour? We offer profit sharing and flexible hours. Starting pay -- $7-9 per hour
13) For sale by owner -- complete set of Encyclopedia Brittanica. 45 volumes. Excellent condition. $1,000 obo. No longer needed. Got married last weekend. Wife knows everything.
14) LOST: One-eyed, three-legged male dog. Answers to the name "Lucky."
I'm going to share with you one of my "pet peeves." I don't like the word "lucky." And, no, it has nothing to do with the ad above. I enjoy many good things in life. I have a lot of wonderful things happen to me. And there are times that I am tempted to say, "You know, I've been pretty lucky." But then I recall that my good fortune is due not to luck or happenchance, but to the hand of Almighty God. I'm not lucky; I'm blessed! God has richly provided for me in ways far beyond what I expect or deserve.
Can you picture Esther saying, "Wasn't it lucky that the king was willing to hear my plea?"? Can you picture Paul saying, "Wasn't it lucky that we weren't killed in that shipwreck?"? Can you picture Daniel saying, "Wasn't it lucky that the lions didn't eat me?"?
Then why would I dare speak of how "lucky" I've been in my life? It's not luck -- it's the providential care of a loving God!
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights....." (James 1:17). Thank you, Father, for blessing my life so richly!